30.3.10

Oatmeal Glory

I think everyone laughed at my "oatmeal" phase. I had been watching a food channel for a while and particularly loved the oatmeal segment. Between programs, as a sort of commercial break, they would show you a quick recipe that could be made with Quaker oatmeal. I think I was drawn to how incredibly simple and easy the recipes were. I remember jotting down the easiest recipe for plain oatmeal cookies.

One day, I went out and bought some oatmeal for the cookies, and started making them immediately. In no time they were out of the oven. Everyone thought they were delicious, and I was amazed. I was laughing on the inside the whole time, because I knew how ridiculously easy they were to make, and everybody thought that they had been baked by a professional!

Questions came my way as people instantly wanted to know how they were made, and it was as if it was my personal duty to advertise the amazing benefits of oatmeal and the thousands of creative recipes you can make with it. It was hilarious.

Seriously though, oatmeal is very good for you. I think the fact that there are so many recipes for oatmeal is wonderful. It can be incorporated  into almost anything; chicken, meat vegetables and dessert. Of course, it is a very rich source of fiber but is also very good for the heart. It can help maintain good cholesterol levels and contains iron. There I go again!

... and now for the infamous oatmeal cookie recipe ...

You need:

1 cup of flour
2 cups of oatmeal
1/2 a cup of sugar
2 tsp of cinnamon
A small bar of butter (but keep some extra aside in case)
A pinch of salt

Now four easy steps!

1. Mix butter with sugar
2. Add everything else
3.Roll the mixture into balls (in the size you want), then after placing them on a baking tray, press them down a little from the center
4. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes at 180-200 degrees

While making these cookies there are a few important points:

Originally, you are meant to do everything manually and not in the mixer, but if you don't like working with your hands the mixer is fine. I've tried both ways.

If you feel like the mixture is too dry, add more butter. If it is too moist, then add more flour.

Keep an eye on them while they are baking; be careful that they don't burn from the bottom. They are supposed to be very soft when you take them out, so don't over bake them.

Bon appétit! If you ever do try them!

4 comments:

  1. That is my favorite too. I will try your recipe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like them! I've adjusted the instructions a little, nothing new, I just made sure the recipe is more clear. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely is, and it's so easy to make oatmeal even more delicious these days. People should really try to incorporate it into their diets.

    ReplyDelete